Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year

As the Christmas Season fades to a happy memory we all look to the new year with determination to stick to our resolutions like gum to a sneaker on a hot summer's day.

Here's my thoughts about resolutions:

1. They should be small. Pick something that is actually possible to do. For example, one of my resolutions (yes there's more than one) is to be better about labeling my blog posts. I could have resolved to post more often, but folks - that ain't gonna happen. So I choose to make the posts I do write more effective.

2. At least one of the goals should be something you want to do. If I chose keeping up on the laundry, making beds every morning or keeping the light fixtures dust free. I'd be doomed from the start. Sure we want to be better people, however no one said we had to be boring. Pick a fun goal like visiting 5 state parks or wrestling with your kids once a week. The more you enjoy it the more likely you are to put it high on your daily priority list.

3. Involve your family and/or friends. This not only makes you accountable to yourself, it makes you accountable to others as well - and who wants to be seen as the lame squash in the vegetable pile? Involving others can also strengthen your relationships.

4. Do your best, but don't beat yourself up if you miss a day. The idea isn't to become perfect at something; it's to improve yourself, your skills, your relationships, your spirituality or your physical appearance. A year is a long time - 365 days in fact. (Is it a leap year?) You are going to hit some bumps in the road. My family has been grappling with a stomach flu AND a head cold for the last three weeks. They kicked our trash. My 10-year-old Buggie spent Christmas day with his head in a puke bucket. Bump! Take those set backs in stride and keep on swimming.

That's how I feel about resolutions. Thanks for reading. Good luck on your resolutions!

1 comment:

Heather Moore said...

I like the idea of keeping our resolutions simple and attainable, while allowing for some bumps in the roads! Definitely a good idea :-)