Sunday, May 29, 2011

Wheat - week 4

Moving right along aren't we? Week four and this is what we have.
From this angle, it doesn't look too bad.

DSC_2526

But from this angle, you can see my problem.

DSC_2527

We seeded to have one seed every square inch, but they aren't coming in that thick. So I planted a bunch more, three weeks behind the original crop. (More like - took handfuls and threw them into the field.) My worry is that the first crop will mature and we'll either miss it or we'll have to cut both in order to salvage any. Maybe the intense rain we've had has kept the first planting from growing too fast so the second will have a chance to catch up. Hey, I could be wishful thinking, but it sounds good to me.

This was the view as we finished up.

DSC_2525

As we head into the warm sunshine later on in the week, I am glad that wheat is not a needy crop. Unless we get a scorcher of a summer, I won't have to water it. In the past, I haven't been a good water-er. I tend to be sporadic. Maybe I'll write it on my calendar. "I'm sorry, we'll have to schedule the dentist appointments for another day, I have to water the wheat next Wednesday." It could happen.

No comments: