Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ice Castle

IMG_0935[1]

The whole idea of an Ice Castle is very romantic. Something out a of a fairy tale. From what I understand, it's more construction, science and hard work than a fairy tale world should be. But then again, who builds all the magic castles? Who lays the bricks, slathers on the mortar and plants the vines inching their way up the sides? I guess the point of a fairy tale is that it all happens - but we don't have to do the work. As a reader we accept that they are there - like they burst forth from the end of a magic wand.

Well, I got the chance to walk through a real-life ice castle in Midway, Utah. It was stunning. The entry way loomed over me. I wondered how icicles could be structurally sound. (My husband built out house - it was not made of ice.) There are 2 x 4's under there to support the 'walls' and tunnels. You can't see them through the ice.

IMG_0934[1]

If you can't read the sign, it says, "Please don't touch the icicles - we are trying to regrow after a January thaw."

IMG_0931[1]

Though there were a few kids, it was mostly couples. I guess romance is inevitable when you have an ice castle. We took pictures for other couples. I thought it was a fantastic idea to build an ice castle.

If you're interested in how they were made, I've got the link to a news story here: Ice castle turns heads at Midway resort - ksl.com

My first visit to an Ice Castle was enchanting.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Ooh, I can feel a snow fairy book forming! I LOVE caves and formations and stuff. Thank you SO much for the beautiful pics and the post, I enjoyed it!

♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

Unknown said...

You are so fun Elizabeth! Are you going to Storymakers this year?

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. Will have to try that out. Thanks for the great idea.