Monday, October 11, 2010

Pork Chops and Applesauce

OK, maybe just the applesauce. Making applesauce is labor intense. There's only one ingredient - apples. But in order to go from this:

DSC_2217

to this:

DSC_2225

There's a few steps in between. The first step is to borrow my neighbor’s strainer. This is essential. Her strainer can do multiple batches of applesauce, and, unlike my blender, you don’t have to empty it in between. Not to mention, the wonderful thing separates the skins and the seeds saving my from coring and pealing.

DSC_2222

But, I’m getting ahead of myself.

Step 1 – Borrow strainer
Step 2 – Wash apples; remove stems, cut in half

DSC_2218

Step 3 – Cook apple halves until tender

DSC_2221

Step 4 – Put tender apples through strainer

DSC_2223

Step 5 – Put apple sauce in bottles and seal using a hot water bath

DSC_2225

Step 6 – Feed apple junk to chickens

DSC_2224

Step 7 – Enjoy the popping sound as your lids seal tight
Step 8 - Take a nap!

No comments: