Friday, August 20, 2010

New Spice

This week I decided to try a new recipe and a new cooking method. In my mind a dessert isn’t a dessert unless it includes chocolate. So I stepped out of my comfort zone and made a regular old rice pudding in the crock pot.

I’ve never made a dessert in the crock pot before. I didn’t even know it was possible. My eyes were opened by a wonderful crock-pot cookbook, Fix-It and Forget-It, I acquired at the library. (With school and baseball starting up again, I need easy, healthy meals.)

The finished product:

I served it warm with just a sprinkle of cinnamon. Unfortunately, my children share my dessert philosophy. Though it was delicious, it just wasn’t chocolate. I love the nutmeg spice, but it’s not the spice of life.

Here’s the recipe if you want to give it a try.

Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding

2 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 1/12 cups evaporated milk
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons soft butter
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup raisins

1. Mix together all ingredients. Pour into a lightly greases slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, or on low 4-6 hours. (Stir after 1st hour)
3. Serve warm or cold.