Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Quiet

mom cookies

The first day of school brings to mind a mixing bowl full of excitement and fear. It’s fun to see all the friends you’ve missed over the summer. There’s also a lot of new -- new teacher, new classroom, new kids, new school supplies, new, new, new.

So, for my daring children who bravely climbed aboard the bus, I made Nestle Toll House Cookies with mini M&Ms. Even though I am searching for new experiences, my kids thrive on the expected. Though I must say, my first day with only two kids at home, in like six years, was a spice I liked.

I also, as a new twist on an old tradition, I wrapped a few cookies together and gave them to the moms at preschool. I had visions of mothers with their feet propped up, savoring a cookie. In reality, the cookies were shared and moms felt lucky to get a taste. Oh-well, a nibble of a cookie is better than no cookie.

Nestle Toll House Cookies (With mini M&Ms):

Ingredients
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs
• 1 package mini M&Ms
• 1 package Nestle Toll House semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.