Friday, February 22, 2013

The Word of Wisdom: Discovering the LDS Code of Health





From the Back Cover:

Improve your health today! The Word of wisdom will teach you principles to help you eat better, feel better, and change your life. Dr. Scott A. Johnson draws form the Doctrine and Covenants to help you make correct dietary choices in a world where convenience food reigns supreme and where chronic illnesses and degenerative diseases are rampant. 



Here's the beautiful front cover. I am always in awe of how beautiful raw food can be. Blueberries for example are such a wonder! The colors found in nature are truly the most edifying for the eyes as well as the body. 



Following the Word of Wisdom

I was interested in reviewing this book for several reasons. One of them is that I try to follow the Word of Wisdom. (I say try because I am not perfect at eating what I should. I've found that the effort to eat well is as enjoyable and rewarding as the knowledge I'm gaining on the subject.) 

There are sections of the Word of Wisdom that are easy to follow. For example, I've never smoked a cigarette or used any other form of tabaco. I enjoy running and can't imagine not being able to take a deep breath. I also don't drink coffee or tea or alcohol. I gave of caffeine in high school and will rarely drink it now. (Maybe one soda every three months.) As Dr. Johnson explains, these substances all contain stimulants that mess with the body's natural functions.

General Health Benefits from the Word of Wisdom



DSC_2417I really enjoyed the section of the book on the different grains and their benefits. I make wheat bread for our family. Here's the recipe and the link if you'd like it. It is super easy to make and only takes a few ingredients. I started making it to save money. A loaf of wheat bread costs $2.79 at our local supermarket and I was able to make this loaf for under 24 cents! I knew it was good for us - that's why I bought wheat bread - but I didn't know how much better it was to make my own until reading Scott's book. 

The Word of Wisdom and Weight Loss


I would recommend picking up a copy of The Word of Wisdom: Discovering the LDS Code of Health to learn more about the things we should be putting in our bodies. I had a friend ask me how I stay so thin when I bake so many goodies. She was trying to loose a little weight and was frustrated that, despite her new exorcise routine, she couldn't seem to drop the pounds. After reading Scott's book, I recommended that she change her focus. Instead of thinking about all the things she shouldn't eat, she should spend her time thinking about all the things she needed or should eat for that day. For example, Dr. Johnson reminds us to get 13 servings of fruits and veggies per day. If you spent your day trying to reach that goal are you going to have much time to worry about missing out on something? When we are working toward obeying the Word of Wisdom our bodies and our minds will function at a higher level and our desire for unhealthy foods will naturally diminish.

For more information, check out http://discoverthewordofwisdom.com/



No comments: