Friday, December 10, 2010

Bread - oh so good!

DSC_2417

Isn't that a pretty loaf of bread? I mean really. If you are going to make your own bread, you hope it will turn out this pretty. I've made my own bread for over a year now. The financial savings are outstanding. (over $500.00 a year.) I've had people ask me for my recipe, so here it is.

Disolve 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast and 1/4 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 warm water.

Add 5 cups wheat flour to 3 1/2 cups warm water in your mixer with the bread hook attached. Mix together.

Add 3/4 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
Mix well.

Add yeast mixture and mix together. Add 5 1/2 cups wheat or white flour. (In the pictured bread I used white.) Mix until dough pulls away from sides. Kneed in the mixer on low speed for 10 minutes.

Turn out onto greased counter or bread board. Cover with a damp cloth and let double in size. Once doubled, divide dough into three equal portions and shape into loaves. Place loaves in greased bread pans. Let double in size. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35minutes. (My oven takes 32 minutes exaclty.)

DSC_2418

Now, people ask how I get my crust so soft. Here's the secret: put your warm loaves in plastic bread bags and seal them. This keeps the moisture in the bag that would have evaporated out. The crust absorbes the moisture and stays soft.

Good luck with your bread making.

No comments: