Sunday, January 30, 2011

Skiing, again

I know this blog is supposed to be about firsts, and I already blogged about skiing. But...I did my first green runs yesterday and just have to share.

My legs are okay. They are a little sore (mostly in the calves) but I can handle it. The thing that hurts is my “falling side.” It seems I have a dominate side to fall on. I go to the left. I’m really getting good at it too.  My shoulder and neck keep asking my why I want to learn to ski. What they should be asking, is why I want to fall down.

I’ve mentioned my issues with speed – I don’t like it. (Well, that’s not true. I like to drive fast.) I just don’t see the thrill of hurtling down a hill. Perhaps when I gain more control, I’ll get it; which is improvement because at least now I am open to getting it where as before I just shunned it. Perhaps I don’t like it because my falling side hurts more when I fall at faster speeds.

I fall down semi-on-purpose. Basically, it stops me. I was stopped once by a pole yesterday – I didn’t like that. So I voluntarily stopped myself from then on out so that I didn’t have to rely on large poles or trees doing the job for me.

One of the best parts of the day was watching all the little kids zoom right on past, jump off a bump, or nonchalantly giggle with their ski friends as they careened down the hill. Kids are unafraid of falling. Perhaps because they do a lot of it anyway. Perhaps they feel protected in their marshmallow clothes, Perhaps they don’t know what broken bones feel like. Perhaps they don’t have four kids at home relying on them to be fully functional the next day. Whatever the reason, they go full tilt. I admire that. I don’t want to be that, but I can admire it in others.

Despite the ski-hangover I have today, I would like to go again. Perhaps one day (in a galaxy far, far away) I’ll write a blog about skiing a blue.

No comments: