Monday, July 1, 2013

Esther the Queen



When I picked up this book, I was familiar with the story of Esther. I knew she was a woman of Jewish faith who married a king who was not. I also knew that at some point she saved the Jews from a terrible fate. Though her story is one of heroism and faith, I must confess that I have never studied it in depth. 

That's one of the wonderful things that happens when you pick up a book by Heather Moore. She tells a story so vividly that you want to go to the scriptures and learn all you can. 

I love the way Heather sees those written about in holy scripture as more than just words on the page; she sees them as real people. This vision of hers comes across the page to the reader. 

In the beginning of the book she admits that she was back to "square one" when it came to researching the time period and customs of the people depicted in Esther the Queen. However, I didn't feel that she'd missed a step. I could picture the humble home Esther grew up in just as well as I could see the palace she married into. 

Since I'm partial to a little romance, I was very happy to see the love develop between Esther and her king. It was natural and moving at the same time. I would recommend this book to readers of all ages.

No comments: