Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chocolate chip cookies

It almost scares me to try a new recipe for something I already have a fantastic recipe for. Committing all those ingredients, including a whole bag of chocolate chips, can make me think twice before pulling out the mixing bowl. However, I am in pursuit new adventures in life, and therefore must make sacrifices in order to find success.

Having said all that, I am pleased to say that my adventure into the world of chocolate chip cookies was a success.

DSC_2383

My favorite part of this recipe was the blended oatmeal. I had never thought to blend oatmeal into my cookies, therefore disguising it from my children. Not that they wouldn’t eat it, but they look twice before they eat it. (And sometimes, much to my dismay, they lick the cookie before they actually bite it. How weird is that?)

The one alteration I did make to the recipe was to cut the butter in half and use butter flavored Crisco for half the fat. Butter and Crisco are both fats, but they melt at different temperatures. Therefore, at least in my experience, cookies made with butter tend to be flat, while cookies made with Crisco tend to stand tall. I use the butter flavored Crisco so as not to loose the buttery flavor. I also halved the recipe due to my fear of wasting chocolate.

New cookies:
Cream together
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
Add:
2 tsp. baking soda
4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
5 cups oatmeal (blended until powder)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
2 packages chocolate chips

Roll into balls and place two inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for ten minutes.

1 comment:

Eva said...

I love the blended oatmeal in the Neiman Marcus recipe. This one is much less labor intensive that that one though thanks to its lack of finely grated milk chocolate.
If you ever want to try another chocolate chip cookie recipe I have at least five that I chose between based on the individual qualities each recipe provides. I'd be glad to recommend one.